Friday, March 12, 2010

Breaking Through

I am a working Mom. A full time job along with helping my family to run an NGO . Is that enough ? No I say, I can do so much more in a day.


I am very excited to meet Waheeda Rahman today. I am no big celebrity fan, Hollywood, Bollywood or Tollywood. It all depends on the role they play in the movie for me to be a fan for that particular movie. But there is something about Waheeda Rahman.

I first happen to meet her at a book launch. “Breaking Through”, ( a handbook for parents and teachers of children with Specific Learning Disabilities) written by a dear friend and a woman who I admire: Mrs. Farida Raj. There was Waheeda Rahman along with Anupam Kher and others….but she stood out with her ram rod straight back, grey hair, the absolute poise that she carried herself with. I said to my self, “this is how I would like to grow old” !

A lovely ceremony, showcased a well bonded coehesive family, all extremly talented. The son made a witty, well informed, interesting MC. The husband Vijay Mohan Raj stood at the back of the hall beaming with happiness and pride with his wife and son taking centre stage. He is used to being in the limelight himself, recognised in the cricket field, well respected in the travel fraternity to speak of a few.

He let them shine and basked in the halo himself.

As I drove back home, I was happy I skipped my Coffee club do for the Book Launch. I carried home visions of grace, dignity, creativity and humility.

I AM HUMBLED.

3 comments:

  1. WOW...I so so so admire her she is a legend..so graceful..you lucky gal..

    and u too blog din knw abt that HUH!! Well, you write quite interestingly :)

    Want more of it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dew ...lets just say ....I am trying !

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first film I saw of Waheeda Rehman was with Raj Kapoor 'Teesri Kasam' (not so impressive) but when I saw her in Guide, I was infatuated by her and could not stop thinking about her for days on end. I was six then. She is beautiful.
    Haven't heard much of Vijay Mohan Raj except on radio at Ranji level.
    Keep writing and expressing your thoughts in this kind of private journalising.

    ReplyDelete